Thursday, October 17, 2013

Soli Deo Gloria

Hello Friends.

Many of you know me as the Disneyland blogger from Tales of a Disneyland Cast Member ; however this is an entirely different adventure and blog.  This blog is dedicated to my travels and undertakings.

It’s hard to describe exactly what I am feeling at this moment. I am feeling humbled, overjoyed, ecstatic, and overwhelmed.   Tonight is the beginning of an incredible adventure. I found out today that I am leading a 6 week trip to Tanzania this summer…That’s right 6 weeks in Africa...... and I AM LEADING.  Am I crazy? Probably. How did I reach this point? How did I make this decision? Well let me take you back 7 years.

The plane touched down in Uganda.  After 2 days of travel, I stepped off the plane into another a world. This was Africa. Kampala smelled of smoke, red dirt stained my shoes, and I was the only blonde. Next thing you know, I am at an orphanage. Children are screaming out of jubilee.  I step off the bus and am surrounded by a sea of faces. (The video below will help show you what happened in that moment. The quality isn't HD, but you will get the picture)


After this moment, I was ushered into a small room and was told I would meet my sponsor child. The child my family and I had been supporting for 3 years. When I first saw her, I immediately loved her. We had been corresponding for years, but here she was in person. She was the same age as my sister and she had a smile that lit up the room. I bent over to give her a hug and I knew I had found my new home. For the next few weeks, I spent time at that orphanage and fell in love with those kids. That sea of faces quickly became
names and children that I personally knew. So as you can imagine, saying goodbye was painful. As I stepped on the plane, I vowed that one day I would return to Africa.    

The years have gone by, but those children have not left my mind or heart. It was an experience that stuck with me and has completely changed my life. Uganda has become a big part of me. I am an advocate for those who have no voice, the orphans, and those who need love..


Hopefully all the pieces are coming together on why I would want to spend 6 weeks out of my summer serving strangers on the other side of the world. 

My biggest hope and prayer is that journey will be a declaration of how amazing God is. Honestly, I have no idea how I will afford this. I can't take this time off. I don't have any formal leadership training. It's terrifying.. As I make up all of these excuses, I feel like Moses at the burning bush. He made excuse after excuse on why he could not return to Egypt. (If you have no idea what I am talking about.. read Exodus 3). I have chosen to follow, even though I don't know the outcome. I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else to do what God has called me to do. This trip is dedicated to "Soli Deo Gloria", which means  Glory to God alone. This is God's trip and may his will be done. My prayer is that you be a first hand witness to the wondrous things that will happen before, during, and after this trip. 

Before I ask you to sponsor or donate, I ask for your prayers. Please pray for this trip. Yes, we are still 7 months away. But, I ask that you pray for every aspect of this trip. This weekend is the leadership retreat. Pray for all the teams that are coming together. These young men and women are going out into the world to love those and share the hope of Jesus. Pray for safety,  receptiveness, connections, my team members, funding, and mostly that God will be given all the Glory.   


Join me on this wild faith adventure. 

Blessings. 

Danielle 
"Do justice, embrace  love, and walk humbly with God" - Micah 6:8



Ps. If you want to sponsor a child, I recommend Uganda Buyamba

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, Danielle!! You are simply a wonderful person. Good luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete